A special message on COVID-19,
from the Island Community Board and Island Health Project, #20
October 31, 2020
Dear Fishers Island Community,
PLEASE read this if you, or anyone you know, is planning on coming to Fishers Island anytime or for Thanksgiving!
As of October 27th, there is one new positive Covid case affiliated with Fishers Island Oyster Farm. All employees have been tested and so far there are no new positive cases. The infected individual is isolating at home on the mainland. All other contacts (8) are quarantining, both on Island and off until all test results are back. They will be retested next Tuesday. FI Oyster Farm COVID protocol includes keeping mainland employees limited to company properties, boats, and vehicles, minimizing contact with islanders.
This virus is not going away. In fact, as you all have heard, it is surging across the country, as predicted it would in the fall. There are now 41 states on the New York State travel advisory list. For a list of these states go to coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory If you, or your family or friends, are traveling to Fishers Island from one of these states, you must quarantine for 14 days. A negative test result will not negate the mandatory quarantine period.
With the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday ahead of us, we want to offer strong recommendations and guidance to everyone thinking of and planning to travel to the island.
- Call the IHP office well in advance to schedule a test. We recommend testing 4-5 days before arrival as testing is taking anywhere from 2 to as long as 4 or 5 days for results. We strongly recommend quarantining within your own cohort for as long as you can before the test and until you get your results. Once you have your results and before coming to the Island, we recommend quarantining and being as careful as possible with contacts.
- Once IHP has put in the order for your test, go onto MyChart and schedule your testing date and time ASAP. Yale does not want ordered tests sitting in their system with no date chosen. You can schedule up to 30 days in advance. mychart.ynhhs.org
- CVS is also offering drive-thru testing. Go to CVS.com to schedule a date and time. If you choose to use CVS, PLEASE send a copy of your email results to the IHP office at email@example.com
- PLEASE fill out the IHP Off-Season Covid Census (if you haven’t already) before arriving so that we know who is on the Island. Here is the link IHP Off-Season Covid Census
- PLEASE do not gather with people outside of your cohort if you don’t have your test results back!
- We recommend keeping your gatherings to small groups of 8-10 people. This might be difficult but statistics have shown that large gatherings of people, not wearing masks and not socially distanced, can end with possibly infected individuals.
- Also recommended is signing up for the NYS Contact Tracing app. Very simple. Learn more here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-alert-ny
- We hope everyone will be guided by our recommendations. Please share this with as many family members and people you know who might not have seen it. The bottom line is – we want everyone to have a safe and healthy Thanksgiving weekend, not only for yourselves but for everyone on our special island.
Yours In Health,
Dr. Christopher Ingram
Physician in Residence, Fishers Island
People in quarantine: ~ 8 (as of 10/27/20);
Number of positive cases: 1 (as of 10/27/20); 0 Individuals remain on Island
Number of additional symptomatic individuals: 0 (as of 10/27/20).
Our guidance is this:
- ISOLATION means that positive cases and their families are strictly isolated to their houses, and to rooms within houses, to limit intra-family spread. Nobody from that household should be out for 14 days.
- QUARANTINE means you should not leave your property, cannot go inside the stores or post office, and should not interact with others.
- Read these step-by-step, do-it-yourself (DIY) instructions for getting enrolled with IHP and MyChart, tested, and “with the program!”
- Please test off-Island with YNHH on your way here, if you can – we will help you arrange. Test results are now taking 2-4 days, so please isolate while waiting for your results.
- Re-test if you think you are at risk or if your result is out of date – but do it soon!
- Continue social distancing and good hygiene, stay within your known cohorts, as you have been.
- Seasonal residents should try to get flu shots off-Island, although we will gear up for more requests than usual (in a normal year, we do about 100).
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding the IHP Off-Season Census do not hesitate to reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. With your help, we can continue to protect the Fishers Island community.
Resources: To find all the FI information, please visit this link: COVID-19
As always, do not hesitate to call or text me at 917-903-3516 if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and need medical advice.
Contact tracing team: FICOVID@FIIHP.NET
Island Health Project (IHP): IHP office, MyChart or ordering a test follow the DIY instructions first, then call the 631-788-7244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.