Dear Fishers Island Community,
This letter provides the latest update on recent COVID-19 related events.
As of today, Monday, October 12, there is one new individual who received a positive COVID diagnostic test this morning. There is also one additional, unrelated, symptomatic individual who is being tracked and has not received test results.
Through the immediate contact tracing efforts of the IHP office personnel performed today, we have identified 22 direct contacts of the positive case, nine of whom remain on the island, and 13 who have left the island. All have been contacted today and are now under strict 14-day quarantine orders. Follow-up testing is being performed for all such individuals, including the initial positive case. The positive individual is doing well.
While we are disheartened that there is a new positive case on the island, the lesson for all of us remains the same. The IHP system works as designed and requires that we all adhere to it. As we have consistently advised, stay distanced, wear a mask, wash your hands.
Unfortunately, testing turnaround is taking longer through all branches of the Yale New Haven Health System. If you have not yet received your test result, you must treat yourself as if you are positive. You must take personal responsibility to not risk exposing others.
Please help us. If you were on the island this past weekend, or you are in residence here, please be sure to fill out the simple Fishers Island Fall COVID-19 Census Form HERE. If everyone on the island participates in this census, it will make our jobs much easier if we need to contact you for any reason. The information remains confidential to the Doctor’s Office. If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to reach out via email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. With your help we can continue to protect the Fishers Island community.
Thank you for your help with this.
People in quarantine: ~22 (as of 10/12/20)
Number of positive cases: 1 (as of 10/12/20) Individual remains on Island
Number of additional symptomatic individuals: 1 (as of 10/12/20). Individual remains on island
Yours In Health,
Dr. Christopher Ingram
Physician in Residence, Fishers Island
Our guidance is this:
- ISOLATION means that positive cases and their families are strictly isolated to their houses, and to rooms within houses, to limit intra-family spread. Nobody from that household should be out for 14 days.
- QUARANTINE means you cannot leave your property, cannot go inside the stores or post office, and should not interact with others.
- Read these step-by-step, do-it-yourself (DIY) instructions for getting enrolled with IHP and MyChart, tested, and “with the program!”
- Please test off-Island with YNHH on your way here, if you can – we will help you arrange. Test results are now taking 2-4 days, so please isolate while waiting for your results.
- Re-test if you think you are at risk or if your result is out of date – but do it soon!
- Continue social distancing and good hygiene, stay within your known cohorts, as you have been.
- Seasonal residents should try to get flu shots off-Island, although we will gear up for more requests than usual (in a normal year, we do about 100).
Resources: To find all the FI information, please visit this link: COVID-19
As always, do not hesitate to call or text Dr. Ingram at 917-903-3516 if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and need medical advice.
Contact tracing team: FICOVID@FIIHP.NET
Island Health Project (IHP): IHP office, MyChart or ordering a test follow the DIY instructions first, then call the 631-788-7244 or email email@example.com.
Join us for the ICB Annual Meeting
Tuesday, October 13 @5:00 pm by Zoom for all community members.
Meeting ID: 853 0928 7899
Passcode: same as last
To be added to the email list for future meetings, or to submit questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Your voice matters and we want to hear and respond to your concerns.
Previous meeting recordings may be found here: https://fishersisland.net/about-fishers-island/island-community-board/