It’s that time of year again – Operation Christmas Child! Union Chapel invites any Islanders who are interested to pick up a box at church and syuff it for a needy child with small gifts…they just need to bring it to us by November 12 so I can get them to the shipping location before their deadline.
I always look forward to this as it’s fun, and it’s a concrete way to know we are reaching needy children around the world.
It’s easy and will get us all in the spirit of giving!
1. Get an empty Operation Christmas Child box and instructions at Union Chapel. Best times to stop by are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 10 am -12 pm.
2. Use the instructions and shopping guide provided to purchase new, appropriate gift items for girls and boys in specific age ranges. (Avoid items listed below.)
3. Assemble and fill your box. Include a personal note and photo in the box if you wish. Pray for the child who will receive the box.
4. Close, but do not seal the box(es).
5. Include a slip of paper inside the box indicating whether your box is for a girl or boy, and the age range.
Age ranges: 2-4, 5-9, 10-14
6. We gratefully receive donations to defray shipping expenses ($9 per box). Please leave your donation in your shoebox or with Diane in the office. Checks may be made out to Fishers Island Union Chapel with “Shoebox” in the memo line.
DROP OFF: Thursday, November 12 at Union Chapel
We will pack the boxes for shipping.
Questions? Call Union Chapel at 788-7898 or visit www.samaritanspurse.org.
FOR A LIST OF GIFTS that are appropriate (and those to avoid), please use the link below or pick up a print-out at Union Chapel. Also, a friendly reminder from Samaritan’s Purse to please use a pre-printed shoebox (12.25″ long, 4.5″ tall, 7″ deep) or one you collect on your own that is the same/medium size. (The larger athletic shoe boxes do not stack well in the shipping containers):