The Fishers Island Union Free School District Board of Education is seeking a full-time, year-round custodian/maintenance worker who will be responsible for the cleaning, maintenance, safety, security and physical condition of the school facility and grounds. The position requires the employee to reside on Fishers Island (two-bedroom affordable school apartment available).
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, job application, three letters of reference and any transcripts/training documentation should be emailed to Principal Christian Arsenault at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 14, 2020.
Qualifications: The School Custodian/Maintenance Worker shall:
- Have at least five years of successful experience in a related field with strong attendance record.
- Possess strong working knowledge of best practices for facility cleaning and proactive building maintenance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience in trades including carpentry, plumbing, painting, grounds maintenance, and safety/security/sanitation required to complete basic maintenance and repairs.
- Demonstrate knowledge/ability to appropriately and safely use district equipment and tools.
- Possess the ability to follow directions and be flexible to changes in the daily routine.
- Hold and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrate excellent integrity, good moral character, and strong work ethic
- Is a self-motivated individual who identifies what needs to be done and completes it in a timely and effective manner.
- Exhibit interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration/Board, parents, outside vendors/contractors, and community members.
- Demonstrate the ability to use a computer and mobile device for work-related research and communication.
- Maintain a neat, clean, personable image when performing the duties of the position.
- Successfully pass all necessary pre-employment checks to ensure the safety/security of the school community.
- Hold a high school diploma or equivalent; some college or post-secondary training in related field(s) preferred.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
As assessed by the school principal, the school custodian/maintenance worker will:
- Schedule and complete school cleaning and facility and outdoor (mowing, raking, snow blowing/shoveling) maintenance programs in a high quality and timely manner.
- Continuously and actively maintain and improve the external and internal image of the school.
- Work with administration to conduct and record results of regular building and grounds safety inspections and immediately notify the school principal of safety concerns.
- Deliver outgoing and incoming freight to/from Ferry District shipping office.
- Review, schedule and complete work orders from administration and staff to make repairs in a timely and effective manner.
- Work with administration and business office to complete annual budget for building and grounds cleaning and maintenance operations.
- Appropriately requisition approved expenditures for cleaning and maintenance supplies and equipment.
- Keep accurate records of materials ordered or on hand and proactively communicate material needs to the purchasing agent.
- Assist in the development and implementation a written preventative maintenance program.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the school administration.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive:
- Significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling
- Occasional heavy work exerting 100 lbs. of force, frequent exertion of 20-50 lbs. to move objects
- Some climbing and balancing
- Significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling
- Significant fine finger dexterity
- Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking and 45% standing.
- The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under some hazardous conditions.
Terms of Employment:
- Salary commensurate with candidate’s skills/experience, in accordance with district’s approved plan
- Affordable year-round housing on Fishers Island
- Benefits including retirement pension, excellent health insurance, vacation, sick, and personal time as detailed in district’s articulated agreement for classified staff and in accordance with NY Civil Service regulations.