Now that we have your attention…
Shops in New London are closing for various reasons and circumstances and two recent closures affect services to Fishers Island that have been much appreciated in the past years.
Thanks to the Medicine Shoppe, Walgreens and Barry’s Cleaners, the Fishers Island community can look forward to continued service and delivery.
PRESCRIPTION & MEDICINE DELIVERY
The Medicine Shoppe in New London was recently purchased by CVS. As of Thursday, January 30, 2020 all prescriptions remaining at the New London Medicine Shoppe will have been transferred to the CVS branch in New London. CVS will service all customers once they set up an account and understand they need to pick up their meds in the store. CVS will not be delivering to the ferry.
Fortunately, if one would like to continue to have their prescriptions filled and delivered to Fishers Island there are two options.
The Medicine Shoppe in Old Saybrook is owned by pharmacists Nagy Wassef and his wife Gina who also owned the New London shop* before it changed hands this month. They are ready and willing to continue to fill prescriptions from their Old Saybrook Medicine Shoppe and deliver them to the Fishers Island Ferry. The Walgreen’s on New London’s Bank Street, with Rx Manager Amanda, is also willing to service and deliver prescriptions to Fishers Island customers.
Here is what one needs to do to continue to have scripts filled and delivered to the Fishers Island Ferry in New London:
- Gather your prescription number(s) and name(s), your insurance information, and your means of payment such as a credit card.
- Call the pharmacy where you want your prescription filled.
- Explain you would like them to be your new pharmacy.
- Tell them your prescription is moving (by close of business Wednesday) or has been moved (as of Thursday am) to CVS.
- Your new pharmacy will call to have your script moved to their store.
The Medicine Shoppe and Walgreens will deliver urgent prescriptions to the ferry the same day if called in early enough, however, they both request 24 hours notice to prepare and deliver routine prescriptions (so by 3:00 the preceding day). Please keep this in mind to help them service the Island.
The Medicine Shoppe
535 Boston Post Road
Old Saybrook, CT 06475
698 Bank Street
New London, CT
817 Bank Street
New London, CT
Please call the Island Health Project Doctor’s Office if you have any questions.
*Note: The Medicine Shoppe in New London’s phone number will be automatically transferred to CVS as of Thursday morning, January 30. Please use the Old Saybrook number to reach that store.
DRY CLEANING DELIVERY
Similarly, Shalett’s Dry Cleaners has been purchased by Pier Cleaners which in turn has closed the former Shalett’s store in New London.
Fortunately, Barry’s Cleaners & Launderers is taking on the pick up and delivery of dry cleaning and laundry to and from the Fishers Island.
The FI Ferry is pleased to announce that Barry’s Cleaners & Launderers on Colman Street in New London will be servicing Fishers Island for its dry cleaning & laundering services. In order to take advantage of this new service:
- Customers will need to establish their own personal account with Barry’s. The attached form provides the necessary data that will be required to open an account. Call Barry at 860-447-1445 to set up your account.
- Customer will supply their own laundry bag with name and telephone number. Barry’s can provide a nylon bag for $5 plus tax.
- Barry’s is a once-a-week service with pick-up and delivery only on Wednesdays. Items will be sent to New London for pick-up by Barry on Wednesday’s 8:15 am ferry. Cleaned items will be returned the following Wednesday and will be available for island pick-up late Wednesday.
- Barry’s requires a $15 minimum order. Barry’s will invoice each order a $10 service charge which includes the ferry freight charges.
- Barry’s customer invoicing will include ferry freight charges and therefore Barry’s customers do not pay the ferry for either pick-up or delivery.
Barry’s can also clean rugs and carpets upon request. Note that for rugs and carpets there is a size limitation and they cannot process any rug or carpet larger than 4×8 foot size. Any orders involving rugs or carpets must be arranged for in advance of sending those items.
Barry’s Cleaners and Launderers
565 Colman Street
New London, CT 06320
Barry: (860) 447-1445
Main: (860) 447-8220
Click here for information needed to open an account.