REMINDER from the Town of Southold
Please keep your dog(s) on a leash on town property, sidewalks, trails and other public areas. Be sure to dispose of pet waste properly (ie. be a ‘pooper scooper’), and remember dogs and all domestic animals must have a collar with proper ID and current immunization tags.
Below are the relevant sections of the Town of Southold code that address dogs at large, enforcement, seizure and redemption of dogs at large, and penalties for offenses.
Town of Southold code 83-6, 7, 11, 12, 13
§ 83-6. Prohibited activities. [Amended 7-27-2010 by L.L. No. 6-2010; 6-5-2012 by L.L. No. 8-2012; 8-13-2013 by L.L. No. 5-2013]
It shall be unlawful for any person owning, harboring, in possession of or in control of any dogs or domestic animals in the Town of Southold to permit or allow such dogs or domestic animals to:
A. Run at large other than upon the premises of the owner or custodian, or upon the premises of another person with the knowledge and consent of such person.
B. Run at large other than upon recreational areas subject to the provisions of § 193-3.1.
C. Engage in habitual howling or barking or conduct itself in such a manner as to habitually annoy any person other than the owner or person harboring such dog.
D. Cause damage or destruction to property other than the property of the owner or person harboring such dog.
E. Chase or otherwise harass any person in such manner as reasonably to cause intimidation or to put such person in reasonable apprehension of bodily harm or injury.
§ 83-7. Enforcement. [Amended 9-21-1982 by L.L. No. 8-1982; 7-27-2010 by L.L. No. 6-2010]
Any Dog Control Officer, Bay Constable, Code Enforcement Officer, or Police Officer shall enforce the provisions of this article.
§ 83-11. Seizure of dogs at large. [Amended 9-21-1982 by L.L. No. 8-1982]
Any dog found at large, not under effective restraint or in the immediate custody and control of the responsible person, may be seized by a duly appointed Dog Control Officer or other duly appointed officer of the Town of Southold, confined and impounded.
§ 83-12. Confinement; redemption; disposition. [Amended 9-21-1982 by L.L. No. 8-1982; 8-27-1991 by L.L. No. 23-1991]
A. Any dog impounded under the provisions of this article shall be confined in accordance with the provisions of the Agriculture and Markets Law of the State of New York and may be redeemed by the owner or harborer thereof upon payment to the Town Clerk or Dog Control Officer of the sums set forth below:
(1) Ten dollars for the first impoundment of any dog owned by that person;
(2) Twenty dollars for the first 24 hours or part thereof and $5 for each additional 24 hours or part thereof for the second impoundment, within one year of the first impoundment, of any dog owned by that person; or
(3) Thirty dollars for the first 24 hours or part thereof and $5 for each additional 24 hours or part thereof for the third and subsequent impoundments, within one year of the first impoundment, of any dog owned by that person.
B. Any dog not so redeemed shall, at the option of the Dog Control Officer, be made available for adoption or be destroyed or given to a recognized society for the care and welfare of dogs. All proceedings shall be in accordance with the provisions of the Agriculture and Markets Law of the State of New York.
C. The fee for the adoption of a dog shall be in such amount as may be, from time to time, established by Town Board resolution. The Dog Control Officer may, as a condition to an adoption, require that the dog shall be spayed or neutered within one year after such adoption and may require a deposit of $20 to assure that such dog is spayed or neutered within such time.
§ 83-13. Penalties for offenses. [Amended 7-27-2010 by L.L. No. 6-2010]
Any person committing an offense against any provision of this article shall, upon conviction thereof, be guilty of a violation punishable by a fine not exceeding $250 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Chapter 193 “Parks and Recreation” has sections that address dogs on town property and beaches.
Town of Southold's Chapter 193 “Parks and Recreation”
§ 193-3.1. Regulations concerning dogs or domestic animals. [Added 8-13-2013 by L.L. No. 5-2013]
A. Dogs or other domestic animals are permitted on the following Town-owned recreation areas and subject to the following conditions:
- Parks, picnic areas, children’s play areas, trails and/or athletic fields, if the dog or domestic animal is on a leash and restrained no more than four feet from the owner or custodian at all times.
- Beaches, if the dog or domestic animal is restrained on a leash, from May 1 through October 1 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Town-designated dog runs with no leash required.
B. Dogs or other domestic animals are not permitted on the following Town-owned recreation areas:
- Parks, picnic areas, children’s play areas and/or athletic fields and trails that are posted with signage indicating “Dogs or Domestic Animals Prohibited”;
- Designated bathing beaches during such times that a lifeguard is on duty. Designated bathing beaches include Goose Creek Beach, Kenny’s Beach, Norman E. Klipp Marine Park Beach, McCabe’s Beach, New Suffolk Beach, Southold Town Beach and any other bathing beach designated by the Town Board in a duly adopted resolution;
- Land that is within 50 feet of any recreation area that is posted for protection of piping plovers and other endangered species.
C. Unless otherwise stated herein, where dogs or domestic animals are permitted on Town-owned recreation areas, the dogs or domestic animals shall be under immediate supervision and control of the owner or custodian with the ability to immediately leash the dogs or domestic animals.
D. The leashing requirements of this section shall not apply to a dog or dogs hunting in the company of a hunter or hunters on recreational areas where hunting is permissible or to bona fide service dogs.
E. All dogs permitted on Town-owned recreation areas shall have a collar that adequately displays a valid dog license.
F. All dog or domestic animal waste shall be removed in accordance with § 83-28B.