REMINDER REGARDING ALL PACKAGES & LETTERS SENT TO FISHERS
The Fishers Island Post Office is reminding us that ALL our PACKAGES and LETTERS should be addressed as follows:
Your Fishers Island Street Number & Street Name, #Your Box Number*
Fishers Island, NY 06390
*Please use the # (hashtag/number sign) and your Fishers Island PO Box number. DO NOT write “Box”.
Package Address Example:
Customers generally do not get to choose who will ship their parcels, it is up to the retailer to decide. Sometimes they select UPS, sometimes FedEx, sometimes these parcels go halfway with a company and halfway with the USPS. This address above covers all shippers and tells the Fishers Island Freight Office and the USPS where and to whom to deliver. It is imperative to be correct in addressing these items (if you want to see them).
⇔ ⇔ ⇔ ⇔ ⇔
All LETTERS are only delivered by the USPS so they must still be addressed to your Post Office Box number. Some financial institutions require a physical address, that’s OK, just add the PO Box to the address line as you do for packages (above) – use #XXX.
If you do not use your post office box number, be advised, it may be returned to the sender for proper addressing, which will cause a delay in delivery time.
Letter Address Example:
With the sheer number of family and friends here during the summer we cannot locate everyone without the Box number, so please do your part.
⇔ ⇔ ⇔ ⇔ ⇔
“We want to make sure the letters have every opportunity to reach their destination!”
Seems obvious, but PLEASE be sure to:
- Seal the envelope
- Add a stamp, (yes a stamp)
- Use the same address format as a return address on your outgoing mail.
- Return Address HAS TO BE in the upper left hand corner, not on the back, not above the mailing address
- Nothing can be written under that zip code in the address
The sorting machines are not programed to read the letters in another way, so these things are important.
- Do not use 5 Waterfront Park as an address. Anything addressed to 5 Waterfront Park will be charged a forwarding fee as stated in the postal service domestic mail manual. It is possible packages addressed to 5 Waterfront Park may be returned to sender without notice.
- Please do not makeup addresses as this may also cause delays or returns.
- If you do not know your Fishers Island 911 address, please contact Allison or me at (631) 788-7835 and we will gladly help you.
- If you are off-island and know you have packages coming to the Post Office, please let us know who may pick them up and deliver them to your home. We have limited long-term storage space.
- We know how difficult change can be, but this is a coordinated effort between the Post Office, the Fishers Island Ferry District, and all delivery services to better help our customers.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please as if you have any qiestions about proper mailing techniques.
Let’s have a great summer season 2022.
Kathy & Allison
Kathy Kauffman, Postmaster
Allison Brown, Clerk
Fishers Island Post Office