Marina/Waterfront Manager–Job Description
Founded in 1886, Fishers Island Yacht Club (FIYC) is located on Fishers Island, New York, an approximately 9-miles-long, 1-mile-wide island located ca. 2 miles from the Connecticut coast.
In addition to managing a marina for members and transients consisting of nearly 100 slips and servicing a mooring field of approximately 40 boats by way of a launch, the club runs robust junior and senior sailing programs. FIYC has around 450 members.
In conjunction with the Board of Governors and the Club Manager, FIYC is seeking to fill the position of Marina/Waterfront Manager for the 2022 season.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Launch: Provide launch service to members and guests.
- Marina: Provide docking assistance to members and guests. Undertake regular upkeep and safety checks of docks (e.g., replacing or securing loose dock boards, coiling loose hoses and lines, etc.). Oversee and work with dock staff for assistance and maintenance. Instruct dockhands in safety practices on the water.
- Property: Work with landscaper to identify issues with lawn and plant care. Ensure walkways and porches are kept clear, safe, and in good repair. Keep non-member vehicles from parking lot in season.
- Buildings: Ensure “shipshape” status during pre-season by way of power-washing, touching up paint, cleaning gutters, windows, etc. Maintain “shipshape” status with daily and weekly cleaning protocols.
- Club boats: Periodically check working order of club motorboats and sailboats. Replace fluids, top off fuel, check bilge. Work with dockhands to ensure regular cleaning and pumping of boats.
- Special projects: Assist Club Manager with party set-up, tent, clean-up, etc.
- May 1 – October 31 (20-40 hrs. / week)
- 8am-5pm Wednesday to Sunday
Qualifications and Skills
- Prior experience working at a yacht club, marina and/or boatyard
- Valid and current USCG launch operator license
- Significant experience in the operation of sail and powerboats
- Marine maintenance and repair experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive hourly wage and eligible for overtime
- Transportation by boat for off-island residents
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and résumé to Beth Arsenault, Club Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.