May 1, 2021
Dear Fishers Islanders,
As we near the end of the 2nd spring since COVID-19 entered into our lives we wanted to share some thoughts and requests for the upcoming season on Fishers Island.
We have all learned a lot since last March, and many positive things have happened. Fishers experienced a relatively healthy summer in 2020. Our community followed various protocols, and ‘pivoted’ when necessary, to keep everyone safe. The COVID-19 Census gave the Island Health Project the ability to do contact tracing when needed, and the symptom tracker was a vehicle for you to let IHP know how you were doing. The majority of adults on and off island have been taking advantage of getting vaccinated when it becomes available to them – a case in point, Suffolk County Health Department with the assistance of IHP staff and our EMTs vaccinated 260 here in March.
This busy season will be very similar to 2020 as COVID-19 and its variants are still in our lives, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Before Memorial Day we will share recommendations for the summer and the island’s organizations will be providing their safety guidelines for the months to come. We anticipate things will change and improve as time passes and will continue to communicate specifics.
IHP does plan to ask for the vaccination status of everyone filling out the Fishers Island 2021 Summer COVID-19 Census as an individual in our summer population. This allows IHP to estimate the risk threat to the community and prepare accordingly, refine contact tracing, and document vaccination status of those from all states including NY.
As the days get warmer and the island gets greener, there are several things we highly recommend you (islanders and seasonal residents) can take care of now:
- Get vaccinated at your earliest opportunity
- Send a copy (scanned, printed, or snapshot) of your CDC Vaccine Card to IHP
- Register with the NYS Excelsior Vac Passport if you are a NYS resident
- Complete the new 2021 Summer C-19 Census when it is emailed to you
- Get tested (if you are not vaccinated) 72 hours before you return to the island and send IHP a copy of your negative test
- Send this letter to anyone who is not receiving it and have them join our mailing list
- Copies of Vaccine cards, test results, and requests to join our mailing list may all be sent to dianna.shillo@LMHosp.org
Get outdoors, continue to social distance, wash your hands, have a mask handy, and protect the most vulnerable. Get ready for the Sanger Marathon Memorial Day weekend and a great summer season ahead!
We will be in touch soon.
Physician in Residence