ISLAND COMMUNITY BOARD
P.O. Box 464, Fishers Island, NY 06390
ICB August 2020 Meeting
Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Total Participants: 100
NOTE: The Island Community Board has been hosting weekly Zoom video conference calls with the Fishers Island community each Tuesday night since March 30, focused on health issues and recommended protocols concerning the COVID-19 crisis. In preparation for and during the meetings, the ICB has worked with the Island Health Project (IHP) and many local organizations to help propel regular, updated island communications. On Friday of each week, a letter to the community from Dr. Ingram, along with advice and FAQ’s are posted to www.fishersisland.net and emailed to subscribers. Likewise, island organizations have been encouraged to post their own updates on the website, consistent with IHP/ICB protocols. The ICB will continue to work closely with IHP and all participating entities throughout the ongoing crisis to disseminate evolving Federal, State, and Local guidelines.
The ICB continues to meet monthly in a public forum with the community to review and discuss other Island priorities. Minutes are provided on these monthly ICB meetings, as usual.
ICB Representatives: Willard Soper (President), Candace Whitman (Vice President), Dicky Riegel (Treasurer – Seasonal), Meg Atkin (Year-Round), George DeMenil (Seasonal), Paul Giles (Fire District), John McGillian (FIDCO), Louisa Evans, Elizabeth McCance (Museum) among others
Staff: Nick Wilmerding (Secretary)
- Review and Approval of Minutes approved
- Treasury report ICB Has $4910 in checking acct. Increasing the role of the ICB administrator will increase ICB costs.
- Island Organization Updates Meg Atkins has agreed to serve a second three-year term; therefore no open spots on ICB board, no elections this August. Island org. board members must be appointed in advance of the October ICB meeting.
- Museum and Conservancy Updates Many documents have been moved online. Annual exhibit has migrated online successfully. Land trust trails open, easier to social distance. Sentinel eco-monitoring program still on and running well. Conservancy is in good shape.
- Islanders for Islanders Fundraising drive coming out next week. Nonperishable foods in store at Union Chapel.
- Stop Sign Proposal Intersection of Montauk with Oriental Ave by golf course and Navy lab; quite hazardous. Request for stop sign in both Easterly + Westerly direction at location. Southold has scheduled Aug 25 public hearing on this request. Appeal to send letter to Southold (town clerk) before noon Aug 25.
- IHP Update Still have low rate of infection. Need to emphasize prevention. Scarves are poor face coverings. Please wear masks passing others on bike path.
- ICB administrator position the position is now posted on fishersisland.net. Applications will be open until 15thof September. Administrator position will pay a minimum of $500/month.
- Constables and South Beach Discrepancy between funding for bay constables in Southold and Fishers Island. Lots of garbage left at South Beach after nighttime parties, Ferry District reminds the community to clean up after themselves.