The Fishers Island Ferry District is pleased to introduce the newest addition to the ferry fleet. M/V Silver Eel is a passenger only ‘high-speed’ boat that will run at two scheduled round trips Monday-Friday between the District’s New London, CT, and Fishers Island, NY Ferry Terminals beginning May 31, 2019.
Docking at New London’s City Pier and crossing Fishers Island Sound to Silver Eel Cove’s dock this 18 passenger catamaran will cut the commute to approximately 25 minutes. She will be in service from May 31 to October’s end. The scheduled runs supplement the M/V Munnatawket and M/V Race Point car and passenger ferries regular schedules.
- Tickets are available via the link from FIFerry.com website
- All seats are to be RESERVED ONLINE
- No tickets will be sold at ticket counters.
- Tickets for regularly scheduled trips are $15 each way, per person for everyone. (Plus a transaction service fee of $1.)
- At the boat, last minute walkups can purchase an $18 ticket (if a seat is available)
- Commuter tickets are available and restricted to morning and afternoon commuter runs.
- Due to limited reserved seating and the ticket pricing difference between Silver Eel and Munn/Race Point tickets cannot be used on the Silver Eel. (For example, one may ride over on the Silver Eel and return on the ferry w/ticket from the FI Terminal Kiosk).
- Weekday commuter runs morning and afternoon.
- Other runs are designed to match up with trains that existing car ferry runs do not match.
- Silver Eel is available for charter when not in use and available crews exist.
- Find the schedule here https://www.fiferry.com
- Fishers Island: Please utilize the available free parking on the island. In 2020 the free parking status is subject to change.
- New London: Several parking garages are available with regular day rates as well as low monthly rates.
Built in 2017 by Armstrong Marine USA the passenger ferry is a 38′ Crew Lander. Equipped with twin 300hp engines, FLIR Maritime thermal imaging system (gives the captain the power to see clearly in total darkness, through solar glare, and through light fog and smoke), comfortable seating, lifeboat, personal life jackets, a certificate of inspection, while meeting all Coast Guard required safety standards.
Run by a captain and one crew member this boat will also be available for charters when not in regularly scheduled service. This may including party guests, golf groups, and wedding transportation. She can ferry passengers to West Harbor and East Harbor as well as Silver Eel, New London and other Connecticut and Rhode Island coastline locations.
The boat renaming request was sent out to Fishers Island community members and Fishers Island Ferry District staff, captains and crew in May. An esteemed committee of Island residents was invited to review the names suggested and return with each of their top 3. The Fishers Island Ferry District Commissioners with the district’s managers reviewed the committee’s recommendations and made the final selection at their bi-weekly meeting on Tuesday, May 28. Silver Eel was the overwhelming 1st choice of all parties. Silver Eel was the #1 suggested name of the 105 submitted with 16 entries, and also was selected on each of the committee members’ lists.
The Fishers Island Ferry District Commissioners thank all 83 people that took the time to submit a total of 137 suggestions totaling 105 different names. They also thank the committee of Pierce Rafferty, Ken Edwards, Mary Horn, Jim Wall, and Patty Faulkner for their time and consideration, and congratulate Trudi Edwards on being the first person to suggest Silver Eel as the fast ferry’s new name.
The Fishers Island Ferry District welcomes any suggestions to improve service, answer questions and book charters, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and or email@example.com