The value of the free passage was just over $5000.
The campaign, which ran about 9 weeks, successfully saw over 35 vehicles including cars, dump trucks, and a backhoe leave the island. Not included in this number were a couple of well-used golf carts. Special thanks goes to Dave Banks who single-handedly hauled over 25 vehicles, followed by Denis Grebe, Z&S, and Shultz Roofing.
This effort was a good start to ridding the Island of unsightly junker vehicles.
Do This >>> Not That
Now extended through March 30, 2018 the
Fishers Island Ferry District
is offering free travel for any junk cars off the Island.
This is a community service effort provided by the Ferry to assist those who may have vehicles that are unregistered and/or are no longer in working condition and are just stuck on the island.
Here are some ground rules:
- Free passage includes the tow truck and driver coming from the mainland to pick up your unwanted vehicle. Reservations required.
- Free passage includes an island vehicle with driver towing or carrying an unwanted vehicle off the island and needing to return. Reservations required.
- Travel must be coordinated with the Ferry District’s Commercial Reservation Desk by calling 860-442-0165. (Ferry Reservation, vehicle, and driver will be free of charge!)
- Reservations for paying commercial customers will take priority over unwanted/ junk car reservations.
- All vehicles will be inspected prior to getting on the ferry for leaking fluids. Leakers will be rejected.
- Manually pushing a vehicle onto the ferry, or manually pushing a vehicle off, is not allowed.
- Unwanted vehicles may not be left at either Ferry Terminal unattended.
Please take advantage of this opportunity and let’s get rid of our Island’s junk vehicles.
Contact for removal information: