Tick Awareness and Lyme Disease Prevention
Suffolk County recently published the document below. Fishers Island School published it in their weekly digital backpack, and we are sharing it here.
Please read the short reminder which includes useful information including this:
- Wear long sleeves and long pants and a hat.
- Choose light-colored clothing.
- Wear socks and closed shoes, and tuck pants into socks.
- Apply tick repellent to clothing.
- Stay on the path.
- Avoid walking through tall grass, bushes or brush.
- Check for ticks after being in a wooded or bushy area.
- Examine hairline, scalp, behind the ears, between the toes and other crevices and creases on the body.
- Ticks like to go where it’s warm.
- Remove ticks promptly and properly.
- Tumble dry clothes in dryer on high heat for at least 10 minutes to kill ticks on clothing after you come indoors.