TITLE: PART TIME NEIGHBORHOOD AIDE (FISHERS ISLAND)
DEPARTMENT: SUPERVISOR’S OFFICE
APPLICATION DUE DATE: SEPTEMBER 7, 2018
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
ELIZABETH A. NEVILLE
SOUTHOLD TOWN HALL
P. O. BOX 1179
SOUTHOLD, NY 11971
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Under direct supervision, an employee in this class assists in providing services and information to a specific group of people. The incumbent works in close cooperation with supervisors, and assists in the evaluation and improvement of existing and projected programs. Work involves considerable telephone and/or personal contact with recipients of these services and the incumbent is expected to exercise some independent judgment within well-established guidelines. Performance is reviewed by supervisors for effectiveness and adherence to department practices and policies. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Confers with supervisors in order to plan and develop a program of services;
- Conducts interviews and investigations, and provides information by telephone or in person;
- Conducts field investigations of complaints and surveys of problems and needs;
- Assists in the operation of a program that includes, but is not limited to, counseling services, educational, vocational and recreational activities and other functions;
- (Not applicable to FI position) May assist residents of the Southwest Sewer District with permit processing and house connection information;
- Interviews residents of low-income neighborhoods to obtain information concerning economic condition; makes recommendations based on residential needs and local conditions;
- Maintains records for follow-up purposes;
- Prepares reports on program progress.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Good knowledge of the program of services being offered; working knowledge of the principles, practices and methods involved in conducting a service program; skill in conducting interviews; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers and the general public; ability to communicate with and explain the agency’s policies and procedures to people from varied educational and social-economic levels; ability to obtain and verify information needed through investigation and interview; ability to maintain records and prepare reports; ability to follow oral and written instructions; tact; courtesy; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, and one (1) year of experience in the performance of community or social service work.
NOTE: Additional education beyond high school from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State may be substituted for the required experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Depending on the nature of the position under consideration:
- Employees at the time of appointment and during employment in this title, may be required to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
- Employees may be required to communicate in a language other than English.
DATE OF POSTING: AUGUST 14, 2018
NOTE SPECIFIC TO FISHERS ISLAND: Town Board is fine with extending deadline for applications to September 7 or thereabouts. Interviews for the position proposed to be held on FI. Travel expenses covered but pre-approved by Town Board. Contact Louisa Evans with questions.
Starting hourly rate would be $27.47 per hour (maximum workweek could be 17.5 hours per week).