Interested in a unique opportunity?
Please consider coming to
Fishers Island, NY
School Principal (PK-12)
Effective July 1, 2017
The Fishers Island Board of Education invites an inspiring, community-minded educator with a passion for public education to take our unique school to the next level and be part of our intimate community. The successful candidate will bring:
- Successful experience as an exemplary leader
- Demonstrated work ethic
- Creative thinking with breadth and depth of educational knowledge
- Commitment to drawing on others’ talents and expertise
- Love of nature, kids, and families
- Drive to improve
- Understanding of challenges facing a very small school and island community
- Experience partnering with community organizations
- Budgetary knowledge and financial acumen
- NY Certification (or eligibility within one year)
- Commitment to reside year-round on Fishers Island (housing available)
The Fishers Island Board of Education has engaged the services of the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education (CABE) Search Services to conduct its search for qualified candidates. The screening process is ongoing. All applicants must provide the following by the March 17, 2017 DEADLINE:
- A CABE Search Services application (cabe.org, services, search services, application).
- A cover letter indicating interest in the position.
- A brief review of key professional accomplishments and explanation of how these will contribute to your success as a principal of this unique school.
- A minimum of three recent letters of professional reference.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts and a copy of professional certification.
To ensure full consideration and confidentiality, all materials should be emailed to Dr. Mary Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click any image to see a larger version.
FISHERS ISLAND SCHOOL AT A GLANCE:
Home to about 70 students (PK-12), half from Connecticut and half from the Island, this school has a rich and challenging personalized learning environment and dedicated, caring, student-focused staff who are highly accessible to students and parents.
Students learn responsibility with a strong sense of self-confidence. The school taps the island’s culture, history, habitat, maritime heritage, and beautiful beaches.
“Education is Discovery on Fishers Island”
Points of Pride: This extraordinary school, boasting a Renzuli schoolwide model, has reaped many accolades, including:
- #1 Regents scores in NY in Chemistry and Biology
- Top English/Language Arts scores for Grade 8
- Exchange programs with LaCoruna, Spain and Lake Wales, FL
- BEST Communities for Music Education Award
- CT Science Fair Awards
- Long Island Research Summit Special Team Award
FISHERS ISLAND, NY:
Located at the eastern end of Long Island Sound, two miles off the Connecticut coast, Fishers Island is part of the town of Southold, NY. The population of 236 year-round swells to well over 2,000 during the summer. The island offers all the necessities for small town life: a PK-12 school; a community center with a bowling alley and fitness center; volunteer fire department; library; movie theater; grocery store; two gas stations; hardware store; marina; seasonal restaurants; post office and more. In addition to beautiful beaches, a bike path, and a marine wonderland, the island boasts a wealth of private resources, including an observatory. The island can be reached by regular ferry service from New London, CT, private boat and by air.
Fishers Island School is an equal opportunity employer.