High-speed hovercraft transport company Blackbird Hovercraft joins Fishers Island Ferry District (FIFD) offering an exhilarating 20 minute commuting alternative to Fishers Island from the New London Terminal.
The Fishers Island Ferry District has partnered with Blackbird Hovercraft to provide passenger service to the Island this May through November.
Hovercrafts fly on a cushion of air and travel time is 20 minutes from New London’s City Pier to Silver Eel Cove on Fishers Island. NOTE: Access to and from the hovercraft at Fishers Island’s Silver Eel terminal is by ladder only.
Scheduled trips for up to 6 passengers will be Thursday PM, Friday PM, Saturday AM, Sunday PM, and Monday AM.
- Reservations are available online at the Fishers Island Ferry District website or the ticket desk in New London (if seats are available) for our regularly scheduled trips.
- Online at fiferry.com home page > click Book Travel >click Passenger Only – Blackbird Hovercraft
- $35/one way with a reservation booked online on scheduled trips to Silver Eel Cove
- $40/one way when tickets are purchased at the Ferry District’s ticket counter.
- Reservations are available up to 3 hours prior to departure, then standby only.
- Reservations made in advance cannot be changed within 48 hours of scheduled trip.
- No refunds.
- Passengers will need to pick up their ticket at the Fishers Island Ferry District’s New London terminal and walk over to City Pier to access the Hovercraft.
- OR, Passengers who booked online may print out their reservation and use that as their ticket – then go straight to City Pier and avoid going to the New London Ferry Terminal.
Charters for 1-6 passengers are available anytime and can be booked by clicking the link on the Fishers Island Ferry District website or calling the direct cockpit cell number (516) 580.1543
- $200 per one-way chartered trip, to or from New London to Fishers Island’s Silver Eel Cove
(or other Fishers Island locations) for 1 to 6 passengers.
Up to 12 passenger travel service per boat coming soon.
The Blackbird Hovercraft cruises at 30 knots, 18″ above the water and has independent adjustable forward seating, with Bose headsets for cell phone use and listening to music. The enclosed, fully air-conditioned cabin has 2 gull-wing doors and room for luggage.
This partnership is an exciting new way to access Fishers Island quickly and provide more flexible scheduling for passengers. Suggestions for added scheduled trip times accepted. See the ticket desk or call the ferry with suggestions.