Sunday, May 24th the island celebrated the Peter Sanger Sea Stretcher Marathon effort with 166 participants, their supporters, and donors raising over $20,500. (up $600 over the 2017 event). The 166 runners and walkers was an increase of 8 people over 2017 despite the rainy weather!
The Sea Stretcher donations so far for 2018 are:
$9,900.00 Online donations so far this year
$1,405.00 paid their pledge when signing up
$9,272.00 non pre-paid pledges* at registration
20,577.00 Total as of May 31, 2018
This substantial amount will go directly to maintaining
Sea Stretcher, Fishers Island’s ambulance boat.
And, we all had a lot of fun!
Thank you to all the volunteers! Many different Fire Department members helped, as well as non-members.
Fire Department members and other volunteers with specific jobs:
- 1-mile starter JANIO SPINOLA
- 3 mile starter & runner transportation CAROL GILES
- 5 mile starter & runner transportation JOE BROCK
- 8 mile starter & runner transportation CHRIS DOLLAR
- Set up the Finish Line banner with the bucket truck TOMMY DOYEN
- Traffic control ACE AHRENS, MATT EDWARDS, MIGUEL MEGO, JANIO SPINOLA
- Trophy ordering MATT EDWARDS
- Signage TIGGY SKI
- Rescue 3 fire truck crew which follows the last runner DREW NORTON & BOB ROGERS
- Manning water stations DAVID BURNHAM, JOE BROCK and STEPHEN KUCSERA
- Runners’ Registration Table CAROL GILES, TRACY BROCK, MARY PANKIEWICZ, TAWNYA EASTMAN & JESS HALL
- Timing of runners at the finish DAVE DENISON, CAROL GILES, & TAWNYA EASTMAN
- Sound system set up CHRIS DOLLAR
- Baked goodies for the runners MARY SKI
- Firehouse radio BOB BROOKS
- Firehouse logistics CHIEF BRUCE HUBERT
- Prepares and mails pledge form invoices MARY PANKIEWICZ
- Online donation links and information TIGGY SKI
- Publicity JANE AHRENS
- Overseeing the whole show again this year, the lead on the Marathon Event and Sea Stretcher Captain DAVE DENISON
- and KANDI SANGER and family for all the continued support, and her granddaughter Cassie Sanger for presenting the winners with their trophies.
Many Fire Department members also worked to prepare the trucks for the Memorial Day parade Sunday at noon.
(If anyone’s name was mistakenly left off, please email email@example.com and we will make the correction.)
“To all the volunteers who come out to help make the whole thing go as smoothly as possible, I am very grateful. The funds raised is a substantial amount that will go right to maintaining Sea Stretcher.” ~ Dave Denison to whom we are all very thankful as he is the marathon’s lead organizer, volunteer, and Sea Stretcher Captain.
Click any photo to see a larger image or scroll through the gallery.
Photo credit: Jane T. Ahrens
(Thanks for the ride in the truck again Joe!)
The mile runner winners were:
Rhett duPont and Eleanor duPont: 1A mile (12 and under), from the Library
Chris Addey** and Clarissa Parker: 1B mile (over 12), from the Library
Tim Hoch and Alexis Higgins: 3 mile for all ages, from Four Corners
Tommy Thiel and Alexis Burwell: 5 mile for all ages, from Top of the World Road
Meris Enright and Dexter Benkard: 8 mile for all ages, from the Castle
*Pledge invoices will be created and mailed shortly. Again, many thanks to everyone!
**Chris Addey’s trophy is being held for pick up at the Fire House